/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Antifreeze poisoning
Bookmarks

Antifreeze poisoning

Print-Friendly  

Engine coolant poisoning

Antifreeze is a liquid used to cool engines. It is also called engine coolant. This article discusses poisoning caused by swallowing antifreeze.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

See also: Ethylene glycol poisoning

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    • Ethylene glycol
    • Methanol
    • Propylene glycol
  • Where Found

    • Various antifreezes

    Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.

  • Symptoms

    • Airways and lungs
      • Rapid breathing
      • No breathing
    • Bladder and kidneys
      • Blood in urine
      • No urine output or decreased urine output
    • Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
      • Blurred vision
      • Blindness
    • Heart and blood
      • Change in body's acid-base balance, which can lead to organ failure
      • Rapid heartbeat
      • Low blood pressure
    • Muscles and joints
      • Leg cramps
    • Nervous system
      • Coma
      • Convulsions
      • Dizziness
      • Fatigue
      • Headache
      • Slurred speech
      • Stupor (lack of alertness)
      • Unconsciousness
      • Unsteady walk
      • Weakness
    • Skin
      • Blue lips and fingernails
    • Stomach and gastrointestinal tract
      • Nausea
      • Vomiting
  • Home Care

    Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.

    Use standard first aid and CPR for signs of shock or cardiac arrest. Call your local poison control center or 911 for further assistance.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
    • Time it was swallowed
    • Amount swallowed
  • Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood and urine tests will be done.The patient may receive:

    • Dialysis
    • Fluids through a vein (IV)
    • Medicines to treat symptoms
    • Medicine (antidote) to reverse the effect of the poison
    • Tube through the nose into the stomach to wash out stomach (gastric lavage)
  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    For ethylene glycol: Death may occur within the first 24 hours. If the patient survives, there may be little or no urine output for several weeks before the kidneys recover. Any brain damage may be permanent. Vision loss or blindness may also be permanent.

    For methanol: Methanol is extremely toxic. As little as 2 tablespoons can kill a child, while 2 to 8 oz. can be deadly for an adult. The ultimate outcome depends on how much was swallowed and how soon appropriate care was given.

Related Information

     

References

Ford M, Delaney KA, Ling L, Erickson T, eds. Clinical Toxicology. 1st ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2001.

Goldfrank LR, Flomenbaum NE, Lewin NA, et al, eds. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 8/3/2011  

Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.