/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Cyproheptadine overdose
Bookmarks

Cyproheptadine overdose

Print-Friendly  

Cyproheptadine is a type of drug called an antihistamine, which is used to relieve allergy symptoms. Cyproheptadine overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

  • Cyproheptadine

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    • Cyproheptadine
  • Where Found

    • Klarivitina
    • Nuran
    • Periactin

    This list may not be all-inclusive.

  • Symptoms

    • Bladder and kidneys
      • Inability to urinate
    • Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
      • Blurred vision
      • Dry mouth
      • Enlarged pupils
      • Severely dry eyes
      • Ringing in the ears
    • Heart and blood vessels
      • Convulsions
      • Low blood pressure
      • Rapid heartbeat
    • Nervous system
      • Agitation
      • Confusion
      • Delirium
      • Depression
      • Drowsiness
      • Hallucinations
      • Increased sleepiness
      • Nervousness
      • Seizures
      • Tremor
      • Unsteadiness
  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • Patient's age, weight, and condition
    • Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
    • Time it was swallowed
    • Amount swallowed
    • If the medicine was prescribed for the patient
  • Poison Control

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:

    • Activated charcoal
    • Laxative
    • Medicine to reverse the effects of the poison (this is called an antidote)
    • Tube through the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    If the patient survives the first 24 hours, survival is likely. Few patients actually die from an antihistamine overdose.

Related Information

     

References

Kirk MA, Baer AB. Anticholinergics and antihistamines. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 39.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 1/17/2010  

Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.