You may have one or all of these symptoms of a broken nose:
- Swelling on the outside and on the bridge of your nose.
- A crooked shape to your nose.
- Bleeding from either inside or outside of the nose.
- Difficulty breathing through your nose.
- Bruising around one or both eyes.
Your doctor may need to get an x-ray or a CT scan of your nose to see if you have a fracture.
If you have a nosebleed that does not stop, the doctor may insert a soft gauze pad called packing into the bleeding nostril.
If you need to have a surgery, you will need to wait until most or all of the swelling has gone down, usually 3 - 6 days after your injury.You may be referred to a special doctor -- such as a plastic surgeon or an ear, nose, and throat doctor -- if the injury is more severe.
For simple breaks, a reduction may be done at the emergency room or doctor’s office without the need for surgery.