/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Pencil erasers
Bookmarks

Pencil erasers

Print-Friendly  

A pencil eraser is a piece of rubber attached to the end of a pencil. This article discusses the health problems that may occur if you swallow an eraser.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

Pencil erasers contain a type of rubber. They are usually not harmful.

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    Pencil erasers contain a type of rubber. They are usually not harmful.

  • Where Found


    • Pencil erasers
  • Symptoms

    Swallowing a pencil eraser may lead to an intestinal blockage, which can cause abdominal pain, nausea and/or vomiting.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Determine the following information:

    • The person's age, weight, and condition
    • Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
    • The time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed
  • Poison Control What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • An emergency room visit may not be needed. If you are told to go to the hospital, your symptoms will be treated as appropriate.

  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    Since pencil erasers are considered relatively nonpoisonous, recovery is likely.

Related Information

     

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 1/29/2014  

Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.