/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Pentobarbital overdose
Bookmarks

Pentobarbital overdose

Print-Friendly  

Nembutal overdose; Pentosol overdose; Sopental overdose; Repocal overdose

Pentobarbital is sedative, which is a medicine that makes you sleepy. Pentobarbital overdose occurs when a person intentionally or accidentally takes too much of the medicine.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or a local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    Pentobarbital

  • Where Found

    Pentobarbital is the generic name for the following medicines:

    • Nembutal
    • Pentosol
    • Repocal
    • Sopental
  • Symptoms

    • Heart and blood vessels:
      • Heart failure
      • Low blood pressure
      • Weak pulse
    • Kidneys and bladder
      • Kidney failure (possible)
    • Lungs
      • Difficulty breathing
      • Slowed or stopped breathing
      • Pneumonia (possible)
    • Nervous system
      • Coma
      • Confusion
      • Decreased energy
      • Delirium
      • Headache
      • Sleepiness
      • Slurred speech
      • Unsteady gait
    • Skin
      • Large blisters
      • Rash
  • Home Care

    Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.

  • Before Calling Emergency

    Get the following information:

    • The patient's age, weight, and condition
    • Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)
    • The time it was swallowed
    • The amount swallowed
    • If the medication was prescribed for the patient

    However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.

  • Poison Control

    In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222 to speak with a local poison control center . This hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:

    • Activated charcoal
    • Laxative
    • Tube through the mouth or nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

    In severe cases, a breathing machine may be needed.

  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. You could recover in 1 to 5 days with proper treatment.

Related Information

     

References

Goldfrank LR, ed. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 1/29/2013  

Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY, NY, and Pegasus Emergency Group (Meadowlands and Hunterdon Medical Centers), NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, David R. Eltz, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.