/SiteAssets/Images/FMOLHSBlankBanner.png

Health Information

Poinsettia plant exposure
Bookmarks

Poinsettia plant exposure

Print-Friendly  

Christmas flower poisoning; Lobster plant poisoning; Painted leaf poisoning

Poinsettia plants, commonly used during the holidays, are not poisonous. Eating this plant does not usually result in a trip to the hospital.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

I Would Like to Learn About:

  • Poisonous Ingredient

    Diterpene esters

  • Where Found

    Leaves, stem, sap of the poinsettia plant

  • Symptoms

    Eyes (if direct contact occurs):

    • Burning
    • Redness

    Gastrointestinal (symptoms are mild):

    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Stomach ache

    Skin:

    • Skin rash and itching
  • Home Care

    Eating this plant does not usually result in a trip to the hospital.

    Rinse the mouth out with water if leaves or stems were eaten.

    1. Rinse eyes with water, if needed.
    2. Wash the skin of any area that appears irritated with soap and water.
  • Before Calling Emergency

    Seek medical help if the person has a severe reaction.

  • Poison Control What to Expect at the Emergency Room

    The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

    This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    See: Poison control center - emergency number

  • Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.

  • Outlook (Prognosis)

    How well the person does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster the person gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

    This plant is not considered toxic. People usually make a full recovery.

  • Prevention

    Do not touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar. Wash your hands after working in the garden or walking in the woods.

Related Information

     

References

Graeme, KA. Toxic Plant Ingestions. In: Auerbach PS, ed. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2011:chap 64.

Smolinske SC, Daubert GP, Spoerke DG. Poisonous plants. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 24.

BACK TO TOP 

Review Date: 10/21/2013  

Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.

adam.com

 
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Fire Fox and Google Chrome browser.