The dentist will examine your mouth, teeth, gums, tongue, throat, ears, nose, and neck. You may need dental x-rays. The dentist may recommend other tests, depending on the suspected cause.
The dentist will ask questions about your medical history and symptoms, including:
- When did the pain start?
- Where how bad is the pain and where is it located?
- Does the pain wake you up at night?
- Are there things that make the pain worse or better?
- What medicines are you taking?
- Do you have any other symptoms, such as fever?
- Have you had any injuries?
- When was your last dental checkup?
Treatment may involve fillings, tooth removal, or a root canal, if the problem is severe. You may need to take an antibiotic for an infection.